New product development (NPD) is the process of transforming an idea to a commercial product. Managing Product Development Projects is a course that introduces a disciplined new product development approach that delivers what the customer wants while mitigating development risks. This Stage Gate approach offers many benefits to organizations including increased revenue, operational efficiencies, and customer satisfaction. We present the five phases of the Stage Gate process, a core team approach to project team organization, development tools, speed techniques, and technology management fundamentals. These proven concepts are easily transferable to any industry involved in introducing new products to the marketplace.
After completing Managing Product Development Projects, students will be equipped with a basic understanding of the following:
- How to apply this stage gate approach to your product development programs
- How to improve financial results through efficient product development
- How to organize effective cross functional teams and resources
- How to mitigate development risk
- How to ensure customer satisfaction
- How to develop a product pipeline
No prior experience or coursework required.
Students will be assigned 5 homework assignments, and 1 final exam.
Lesson 1- Introduction
- What is new product development?
- What are the issues with conventional approaches?
- What is the Stage Gate process?
Lesson 2- Stage Gates
- Product Design
- Prototype Development
- Scale up and Qualification
- Product Release
Lesson 3- Project Organization
- Core team model
Lesson 4- Project Tools
- Voice of the customer (VOC)
- Qualified functional deployment (QFD)
- Financial measures
- Pugh matrix
- Risk analysis
Lesson 5- Technology Management
- Organization buy-in
- New product pipeline
This course is Instructor-led and delivered through our award-winning online Learning Management System.