Wind Energy & Power is a course that introduces wind turbine systems, including wind energy potential and application to power generation. This course will provide a comprehensive overview of topics, such as wind energy principles, wind site assessment, wind turbine components, power generation machinery, control systems, connection to the electric grid, and maintenance.
After completing Wind Energy & Power, students will be equipped with a basic understanding of the following:
To develop historical and societal perspectives regarding the demand for mechanical and electrical power generation from the renewable wind using land and offshore turbines.
To identify and mathematically model the wind turbine components, calculate the available wind power, predict mechanical loads based on design, and discuss the generation of electrical power
To numerically simulate the wind turbine dynamic system behavior with integration of components, sensors, and control for given application.
To evaluate the environmental, political, and economic issues associated with wind energy.
The course is designed for anyone interested in knowing more about wind energy. No prior knowledge or experience in wind energy is required.
Students will be assigned 5 homework assignments, and 1 final exam for each course.
- Historical Perspectives on Wind Turbines
- Windmills and Wind Turbines
- Global Installations
- Case Study – Aermotor
- Windmill Wind Energy
- System Components
- Turbine Design
- Review of Fluid Flow Concepts
- Aerodynamics and Wind Machines
- Blade Design
- Mechanics and Dynamics
- Drivetrain Components
- General Principles
- Primer (stress, strain, vibrations)
- Rotor Dynamics
- Electrical Aspects of Wind Turbines
- Electrical Fundamentals
- Electrical Machines
- Power Converters and Ancillary Equipment
- Fatigue and Wind Turbine Design
- Primer on Fatigue Fatigue in Wind Systems
- Wind Turbine Design Process
- Wind Turbine Control
- Control Primer Wind Turbine Model
- System Monitoring
- Wind Energy System Economics
- Engineering Economics Basics
- Wind Turbine Cost Analysis
- Wind Farm Feasibility Studies
- Wind Turbine Siting
- Environmental and Wildlife Impact
- Noise Issues
This course is Instructor-led and delivered through our award-winning online Learning Management System.