Managing a world-class warehouse is now recognized as a potentially major source of competitive advantage as opposed to just another source of cost before product reaches the customer. To achieve this competitive advantage, it is important to choose the right type of operation, processes and equipment, and then understand and continuously improve performance through appropriate measures and controls. “Warehouse Management” is a course that investigates warehouse functions, processes, organization and operations. We review an analysis of warehouse location, operation, management, controls, procedures, finance, security, cargo/materials handling, and productivity.
After completing Warehouse Management, students will be equipped with a basic understanding of the following:
- The role and functions of the warehouse in today’s supply chain
- Warehouse operations, procedures and processes
- How technology can be used to best advantage in the warehouse
- Warehouse cost management and performance controls
No prior experience or coursework required.
Students will be assigned 5 homework assignments, and 1 final exam.
Role of the warehouse in the supply chain
- Purposes of holding stock
- Functions of a warehouse
- Types of warehouse
Elements of warehousing strategy
- What do you want the warehouse to do?
- Objectives of warehouse management – service vs cost
- Outsourcing and contracts
- Warehouse location and number of warehouses
New warehouse technologies
- Summary of warehouse technologies
- Functions and role of the warehouse management system (WMS)
- Automatic identification methods
- Modeling and simulation systems
- Receiving and putaway or cross-dock
- Packing and despatch
- Safety and environment
- Stock counting
Developing a warehouse strategy
- Stages in strategy development
- Warehouse layout
- Storage methods and equipment
- Warehouse automation
- Materials handling methods and equipment
Warehouse cost management
- Sources of cost and cost drivers
- Calculating costs and rates
- Activity-based costing
Performance management and improvement
- Productivity standards
- Performance indicators and control methods
This course is Instructor-led and delivered through our award-winning online Learning Management System.